Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Makin' Green Water

Child- "Mrs. Gates, you're the greatest teacher ever!"
Me- "Well thank you! Why do you think so?"
Child- "'Cause we're makin' green water!"
This conversation occurred today during our math lesson. We were learning about recipes and measuring cups, and we made a recipe for green water by mixing yellow and blue water. Simple right? To us maybe, but to this child it was just beyond unbelievable. Sometimes I forget that my kids are only five. Days like today, and moments like this make me feel so blessed to be a teacher! I love watching them loving learning!!
We have had some pretty fun days in Kindergarten since my last blog, and I have some cute art to show :) I love bragging on my kiddos!! The first thing we did when we came back to school was talk about the New Year. We also talked about how people celebrate (using blowers, counting down, wearing hats, etc.). After we celebrated the new year, we talked about New Year's resolutions and goals. I had the kids brainstorm about a goal they would like to have for 2012. I had some pretty cute responses! Here are some examples of our New Year's lesson activities:
Our Calendar's Decorations:
"I want to read":
"I want to be better at monkey bars.":
Before Christmas, all of my literacy centers were mobile centers. I was having problems with my "friends" wandering around and talking to other friends at different centers. I have been racking my brain trying to find a solution to this problem, and I think I finally have one. I have moved colorful carpet squares into different areas of the room to make my centers. (no extra furniture in the way :) YAY). I also have baskets at each center which has everything in it the students will need at that center (pencils, crayons, scissors, glue, paper, etc). This was a suggestion from my wonderful reading coach. The students also know they are not supposed to leave the carpet unless it is an absolute emergency.
This has seemed to work pretty well over the past few days, so I hope it stays this way :)
This is one of the center set ups:
Last thing for tonight I promise! I have recently discovered that the students can write on my small group table with washable markers, and it will wipe right off with a baby wipe or Clorox wipe! Talk about a time and paper saver. Yet another suggestion from my wonderful reading coach. Check out her website for a TON of fantastic resources for grades K-5! http://www.pcboe.net/les/elderweb/index.htm
Here is an example picture:
Well I'm off to bed for the night! 4:15 AM comes very fast each morning! I hope everyone has a fantastic end of the school week! Keep on teaching on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment